Hi, friends! I’m Kathryn and I love money.
I believe that money can help you to create a life you love.
I believe that money can provide freedom, security, and peace in your life.
I believe that money, in a way, can buy happiness.
If you’re looking to change your money mindset, organize your finances, and create a financial plan to reach all of your goals, you’re in the right place.
I don’t want to just talk about money. I want to provide you with the tools that you need to take action.
You can read about personal finance all day long (sounds good to me, I love this stuff!), but if you never actually use that knowledge, you’re never going to get anywhere.
CHANGING YOUR MONEY MINDSET
Want to change the way you think about money? Check out these popular posts.
ORGANIZING YOUR FINANCES
Are your financial documents and processes a jumbled mess? Learn more about organizing your finances and some tools that will help you to get things under control.
CREATING A FINANCIAL PLAN
Ready to make a complete plan to achieve all of your life dreams and create a foundation of financial security? Then the extensive (and free!) Making Your Money Matter classes are where you’ll want to start.
Now that you’ve had a look around this little blog of mine, let me tell you a bit about myself.
While I’ve always been financially minded (I am a CPA after all), my passion for personal finance really started when we were expatriates in Asia. We made more money than we ever had in our lives, spent more money than ever and still were able to save more money than ever.
We were also faced with a stark contrast from the wealthy expat communities where we lived to the countries we visited like Cambodia, Vietnam and the Philippines.
Here we were, spending more on a week-long trip than most of these people made in years of back-breaking work. I grew up in a household that would be considered poor by American standards, but this was a whole different level of poor. This was sleeping-on-dirt-floors-barely-having-enough-to-eat poor.
And yet, at the same time, there was a happiness and a contentment that we don’t see as much in America. In the contrast of every aspect of our lives, there was also a definite sameness when our kids were playing together and we were all just people living and breathing in the same world.
I realized so many things:
- That money doesn’t buy happiness, but money can decrease unhappiness.
- That the most important things in life are family, relationships and your health. You can’t buy any of these things, but money can impact all positively.
- That perspective is everything. These people were grateful that they had food to eat, somewhere to sleep and safety. It wasn’t a lot, but many of these people had seen worse times in their country’s history and were grateful to simply live in peace with their families.
It was this realization that empowered me to look at things differently. I recognized the opportunity I have, mostly through circumstances that were given to me just through being born in the right place and at the right time, to craft a life where money wasn’t the center but instead simply a tool to achieve my goals. I realized that the opportunities given me meant there was no limit to what I could achieve.
I’ve been on a mission ever since to create a life I love, one dollar at a time.
My past experience working as a CPA provided me with extensive knowledge about taxes, but I’ve had a lot to learn about the other aspects of personal finance and I continue to learn new things all the time. I’ve since completed extensive amounts of personal finance continuing education and am working toward a designation for CPAs referred to as a PFS or “Personal Financial Specialist” (I’ve passed the exam and just need some additional hours of experience to get my actual designation!).
Through my little blog, I want to show everyone that it’s possible to change your money mindset. I want to teach others how to build a financial foundation that allows you to focus on your life instead of on money.
I may not change the whole world, but I’m changing my own world in the process. Since beginning my journey to financial independence, I have:
- Set up a system for my own finances that only requires about 15 minutes per week to maintain.
- Gained the knowledge to ensure that we have adequate insurance to protect our assets.
- Eliminated all debt except for our mortgage on our residence and rental home.
- Saved six figures for the purchase and renovation of our lakefront home (my husband’s dream).
- Drafted a complete retirement plan to ensure that we will maintain our standard of living in the future.
If you want to know a little bit more about me, you can check out these random facts below:
- I love to BUDGET and build SPREADSHEETS. #I?moneynerds
- I am a WIFE and MOM to 3 kids and a St. Bernard. #I?myfamily
- I graduated from EASTERN MICHIGAN UNIVERSITY with a master’s and bachelor’s degree in ACCOUNTING. #I?school
- I am a CPA by profession and worked in TAX for several years. #I?tax
- I lived abroad in SHANGHAI, China and SEOUL, Korea for 4 years as an expat. #I?asia
- I now love to TRAVEL, but before moving to Asia I’d never had a passport. #I?travel
- I am a recovering PERFECTIONIST. My secret to recover? 3 kids. #I?perfect
- I love to CRAFT and SEW in my free time. #I?tocreate
- I am an INTROVERT, but am much less shy now than I was as a child. #I?introverts
- I have impeccable HANDWRITING. I am told all the time that my writing looks like a computer font. #I?towrite
If you’re ready to start creating your financial plan and start creating your ideal financial life, you can do so by downloading the free 12-Month Financial Plan! You will also be sent weekly emails with some extra information and links to the week’s posts so that you never miss a thing!